|Date Posted||March 25, 2020|
Sales and Marketing
World Vision Sudan is implementing a 10.5M Euros grant to implement a Livelihoods and Agricultural Infrastructure Development Project in South Darfur State of Sudan. This three-year project is expected to contribute to the stability of the Darfur region by improving infrastructure and supporting existing and alternative livelihoods. In this regard, World Vision is seeking a qualified and experienced Value Chains and Markets Consultant to support the delivery of the economic sub-component of this project. The duration of this consultancy shall be six months.Duties and responsibilities:Key tasks of the assignment:Key Outputs/Responsibilities(Accountabilities and results)Weight (%)1To provide technical support on the economic and markets sub-component of the project by providing trainings and technical oversight on value chains to small holder dairy farmers and honey producers to increase productivity of selected value chains and market for their produce1002Support the project team (Agronomist, Field Officers and staff of partners organizations) to develop training curriculum, manuals and materials for dairy and honey producers associations and small holder dairy farmers3Oversee community mobilisation and group formations and trainings for savings and transformation among the project beneficiaries4Support the dairy and honey producers and develop the producers associations to establish legally registered viable and sustainable business associations5Directly oversee documentation of lessons learnt and iteratively use these lessons to improve programme performance6Work with dairy sector stakeholders to develop sustainable dairy intervention strategy to enhance productivity among smallholder dairy farmers in selected localities in South Darfur7Developing a concept for communication and marketing of the idea “quality” is better than “quantity”, influencing the traditional practice within the smallholder dairy and honey practices to improve quality8Develop strategy for enhancing honey production with selected target communities and review existing markets and link honey and dairy producers to markets9Develop long term sustainable financing strategy to ensure linkages of dairy and honey producers to financial institution10Deliver / coordinate with relevant stakeholders to deliver trainings as outlined in the project documentation11Development of training curricula/manuals and training materials for the livelihood and value chain beneficiaries11Developing relationship & research opportunity with University of Khartoum and Nyala for tracking quality improvement in dairy and honey12Oversee the acquisition and installation as well asoperationalization of small dairy processing equipmentand supporting conducting business management training for the groups13Collaborate with other stakeholders in the dairy and honey sector to establish quality control mechanism among the producers14Develop capacity of project staff / farmers associations / business owners in a demand-driven production approach and commercialisation of their farm produce15Work closely with the procurement department to ensure timely procurement of equipment, assets and materials for the economic sub-component of this project. This will include providing technical specifications and participating in procurement committees16Directly responsible for timely and quality reporting on economic sub-component of the project for the period of consultancy.Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:Education/Credentials
- Masters of Science, Food Science and Technology with specialization in Dairy or Honey processing, Master of Science in Agricultural Engineering with Specialization in Dairy processing equipment, Master of Arts in Development studies, orRural Economics with postgraduate diploma in project planning and management, Social Sciences or a related field from accredited university. Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of relevant experience in dairy and honey value chain may also be considered.
Experience and skills
- At least 10years of hands-on management experience of large (over USD 10M) economic development projects in a fragile environment
- Experience working in multicultural environment at senior level
- Must be an excellent team player with good interpersonal skills
- A good communicator with sense humour and respect for divergent opinion and professional maturity to take negative feedbacks and criticism
- Knowledge and awareness of Sudan or a similar fragile context
- Resilience and willingness to live and travel in harsh conditions with basic social amenities
- Concern for gender, youth and children
- Highly analytical, result oriented personality with an eye for accuracy
- Diplomatic and tactful in handling coordination and networking issues
- Demonstrated expertise in value chain analysis, dairy and honey processing, agribusiness undertaking and markets
- Community mobilization and savings for transformation(VLSA)methodology
- Training and experience in the protection sector, particularly of children in conflict environments; is highly desirable
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some Arabic language skills
- Excellent English Language communication skills (oral and written).
- In-depth application of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel (note that this will be tested)
- Outstanding analytical/problem-solving skills
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
- Adept in expressing ideas thoughts and concepts clearly and effectively
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Field based (over 90 per cent)
- Duration- 6-8 months
The terms of references is not exhaustive and may be revised during contracting period depending on project needs