|Date Posted||October 4, 2022|
Area Manager – East Darfur-Sudan
Reports to: Senior Area Manager-Darfur
Duty Station: El-Deain /East Darfur-Sudan
August 2022 | 12 months |
Hello Hello! Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Primary purpose of the position
The Area Manager in East Darfur is the leader of East Darfur teams and is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the ALIGHT programs in East Darfur. This is a key management position in the country program and a member of the Country Management Team.
This includes leading Program Managers and technical teams (sectors) in the development of sector plans/proposals; internally and externally coordinating sector activities; establishing and maintaining public relations with state authorities, UN agencies, other NGOs and implementing partners; coordinating management support, including resource allocations and utilization among sectors and administration and accounting for them; monitoring program implementation and reviewing plans as appropriate, managing all program staff, including performance management and staff development; coordinating the production of sector and program reports (ALIGHT and donors) and reviewing/summarizing them for the Head of program implementation and ensuring program staff and assets are safe all the time.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY - PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Management & Development–25%
- With support of the Senior Area Manager, the Head of program implementation and Partnership (HoP), and the Deputy Country Director (DCD), articulate and share with staff a clear vision for the programs in East Darfur. Share with staff strategic information on ALIGHT global new developments.
- Supervises and coordinates staff activities and program implementation in coordination with Program Managers/coordinators to ensure alignment with ALIGHT’s program objectives, Humanitarian principles, line ministries and host government requirements.
- In collaboration with the Senior Area Manager, DCD and HoP, promote overall program coherence, by ensuring that all projects meet program sector design standards, and have well-defined performance indicators and output monitoring mechanisms in coordination with Program Managers.
- Facilitates with the Program Managers/coordinators monthly cross-functional meetings to review progress made in implementation of program plans, budget spending (BvAs & GSPs) and management issues. Shares minutes of meeting outcome with Country Director and senior management team.
- Analyzes program implementation gaps and expedites resolution of critical program technical deficiencies, with support of the HoP and program sector coordinators.
- Reviews the M&E Field Monitoring Reports with program staff. Reports corrective action taken to the Country MEAL Coordinator, ensuring closure of open issues within two months.
- Provides oversight of ALIGHT local partner NGOs grant sub-recipients. Resolves issues and coordinates reporting with the Roving Partnership Manager and Finance Controller (FC).
- Coordinates, with the technical teams, the preparation of donor and internal reports in a timely manner, including production of Human Interest/Program Success Stories, as required.
- Collaborates with the Senior Area Manager and Program Managers in the planning, and in coordination with the grant and business development facilitate the grants launch meetings.
- Ensures branding and visibility signage at project sites are in line with donor guidelines.
- At early detection of emergency onset, rapidly organizes program and operational teams; with Senior area manager support, expedites preparation of program intervention. Leads staff in implementation of the emergency response and provides frequent situational reports to Senior Area manager.
- In coordination with the Senior Area Manager; works closely with the Grants and Business development Manager to design and produce presentation, promotional and communications material, on the profile of the program and operations in the State, for dissemination to internal and external audiences.
- Advises the Senior Area Manager and HoP on current and potential needs of refugee, Returnees and IDP populations in East Darfur in appropriate sectors (i.e. Health, WASH, Shelter, Food Security, Protection..etc.).
- Supports, Senior Area Manager and Head of Finance, throughout the various stages of the proposal development process, by leading State teams in intelligence gathering, data collection, drafting of proposal narrative and budget sections, and providing timely responses to inquiries, as needed
- Serves as the ALIGHT representative in the field on program and operational issues, liaising with State government officials, INGOs, NGOs and UN agencies as directed by the Country Director.
- In coordination with ALIGHT Program Managers/coordinators, program sector heads, strengthens ALIGHT’s technical relationships with relevant State Line Ministries and UN program sector leads (Health, Nutrition, WASH, etc.,) through regular meetings, consultations and updates on ALIGHT programs.
- As directed by the CD, confers with State level donor representatives regarding potential funding shortfalls, project implementation delays, no-cost extensions, or new funding possibilities.
- Hosts/Attends UN/donor/GoS high-level delegation/representatives/visitors’ meetings, as required.
- Participates as a member of joint inter-agency needs assessment teams for potential new programs, or for routine joint field program monitoring, as directed by the Head of program implementation.
Personnel Management —20%
- Fosters a work atmosphere that values accountability, results, staff recognition and well-being, innovation, continuous learning and modeling of Alight values, standards and operating principles.
- Directly supervises Program Managers/coordinators and program staff in the field, providing regular performance feedback.
- Provides guidance and support to Program Managers to direct reports and other staff in preparation of Performance Plans and ensure completion of Performance Appraisals at end of fiscal year.
- In consultation with the Senior Area Manager and State HR Manager, supports technical coordinators in development of program structure, identification of HR needs and preparation of individual job descriptions.
- Builds with respective Program Managers/coordinators the technical and management capacity of staff in a proactive and strategic manner, through ongoing coaching, on-the-job assignments or formal training opportunities.
- Supports the Program Manager and HR Officer in championing the Alight Changemakers’ innovative idea generation and collection process.
Operations Management: 20%
- Supports the Program Manager/coordinators who oversees the Finance, HR and Admin/Logistics functions, ensuring proper internal controls are in place and adherence to GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles), ALIGHT policies and procedures, donor regulations, local labor and fiduciary laws.
- Appraises the CD of the current program, management and security situation, on a daily basis.
- In conjunction with the Program Managers/coordinators and safety focal staff, ensures that Alight & UN Security Standard Operating Procedures are current and implemented. Ensure submission of Security Incident reports to the Country Operations Manager (COM), within 24hrs of the incident.
- Proactively leads teams in the preparation of Technical Agreements to enable timely State and Federal level approvals, minimize disruption of program implementation and expat field travel.
- Provides input for preparation of documentation for annual renewal of ALIGHT Sudan INGO status Registration.
- Support the Program Managers/coordinators who prepares and timely submit monthly cash projections and program cost share to the Khartoum Finance department, to enable adequate time for bank/cash transfers.
- Ensures timely report submission to the COM: weekly Security Report, and monthly Procurement/Supply Chain Management, and Staff Movement reports for ALIGHT HQs Dashboard.
- Support Program Managers/coordinators to monitor schedule for procurement of goods and services for programs and operations. Preside over the bidding process to ensure transparency and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Periodically review together with the Program Managers inventory of physical assets, including IT equipment, office supplies and drugs stocks, to ensure the records are updated, and timely replenishment and/or assets disposal.
- Prepare the Monthly Management Report for submission to the Senior Area Manager.
- Support Program Managers/coordinators to ensure timesheets are prepared with accurate donor codes and submitted to HR/Finance in time for processing of monthly payroll.
- Support the Program Managers/coordinators and HR Officers in monthly tracking of staff leave balances, to enable proper scheduling of staff leave, and avoid accrual of excess leave days.
Strategic Planning & Execution – 15%
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, (SLT) actively participates in team development sessions, contribute to setting common goals, objectives and operating standards. Demonstrate commitment to and accountability for effective team performance.
- Collaborates in the development of the multi-year Country Strategy, Annual Country Management & Operations Plan. Provide input to Quarterly reports on progress, including on Risk Mitigation.
- Attends SLT meetings, remotely and in person; contributes to strategic decision making
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Over 5 years’ experience with an INGO in a management position in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- University degree in the Social Sciences, International Policy or Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferable.
- Experience in managing a multi-sector program; proposal/grant writing, finance, budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation; conducting needs assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead through influence, vertically and horizontally across functional and geographic boundaries.
- Strong representation, interpersonal and negotiation skills, in managing relations with donor, community representatives, and government authorities.
- Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff; through a participatory approach and in motivating and counseling staff working in a complex emergency environment.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution
- USAID/BHA/ UNHCR background preferred
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes direction well, but also works independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities.
- An exemplary team leader/player.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Willingness to work and live in remote and security difficult situation.
- Cultural sensitivity essential.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.