|Date Posted||December 2, 2022|
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics
International IDEA is managing a four-year programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 (responsive, inclusive, participatory, and representative decision- making at all levels) by improving the capacity of strategically civil society actors engage with citizens and the government of Sudan in a democratic and effective way, with an aim to resume a democratic and peaceful transition in Sudan. The project intends to contribute to these over-arching objectives by inspiring and supporting change processes undertaken by a Group of Eminent Sudanese, strategically chosen public interest groups (including civil society organizations (CSOs), thinktanks and research centers).
Based in Khartoum - Sudan*, International IDEA seeks to appoint:*
PROGRAMME OFFICER – RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
The project intends to contribute to these over-arching objectives by inspiring and supporting change processes undertaken by a Group of Eminent Sudanese, strategically chosen public interest groups (including civil society organizations (CSOs), thinktanks and research centers)
The Programme Officer - Research and Analysis will provide research and analysis in accordance with the requirements for the project.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Supports the Programme Manager in developing a research strategy and research agenda for the programme.
- Conducts research on political systems in Sudan, political ideologies, foreign relations and government laws and regulations and analyses the effects on political, social, and economic transformation in Sudan
- Writes policy papers, briefs, country profiles/case studies and op-eds/media articles on democratic trends and current challenges and opportunities for democracy.
- Builds and maintains collegial and collaborative relationships with academia, research centers and think-tanks. Coordinates production and dissemination of knowledge products including analytical and options papers.
- Engages with universities in Sudan to undertake analysis in conflict-affected areas of Sudan, with the aim of providing recommendations on promoting sustainable peace in affected areas.
- Maintains regular communication with the national and international partners and donors, and provides timely progress reports on programme activities;
- Leads internal planning for evidenced based research studies and data analysis, support the coordination of research related with both internal and external actors. Provide quality assurance support to all ongoing research schemes.
- Develops and implements outreach and dissemination strategies for the relevant global, regional, and national knowledge products and research outcomes
- Monitors ongoing research schemes/activities and provides summary updates.
- Supports and provides all necessary information, resources and dats to the research works carried out by International IDEA and its implementing partners.
- Contributes to strategic planning for the Programme team and helps to define objectives and outputs.
- Contributes to monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the programme ensuring timely communication to the donors and to International IDEA Headquarters.
The Programme Officer, Research and Analysis must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- University degree in in Political or Social Science, Law, International Studies, Development Studies or any other related field.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in the field of research, policy analysis, communication and knowledge management or related field.
- Previous experience in dealing with political transformation is an added advantage.
- Experience in working in an international context, e.g., in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
- Experience with donor funded projects will be considered an asset
- Has excellent experience in programme/project design and implementation and results monitoring and reporting
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Spanish, French) is considered an advantage.
- Fixed term appointment for a period of 9 months ending 30th September 2023
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Wednesday 14th December 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org