August 17, 2021
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Main Purpose of Job:
The WASH/EH Assistant will report to the WASH/EH Officer and will be primarily responsible for supervising the Water and Sanitation infrastructure works and hygiene awareness activities as directed by the EH Officer on day-to-day basis. The main objective of this position is to support the WASH/EH Officer in managing safe water provision, Water, Sanitation infrastructure (Excreta disposal and medical wastes disposal facilities) and hygiene awareness. This includes technical assessments, construction and maintenance of water and sanitation infrastructure at the community settings and in the health facilities if will be required. He / She may be required to work in an Ebola isolation unit in supported facilities.
Staff Managed: None
Other Relationships: skilled & unskilled workers and community Health Volunteers
Duties and responsibilities:
- With the support of the WASH/EH Officer, conduct assessments and technical surveys at the targeted communities (and health facilities) covering aspects of new and/existing water, sanitation, solid waste management, and healthcare waste management.
- Support in the design of appropriate and cost-effective water delivery systems, excreta disposal facilities, solid waste management facilities and medical waste disposal systems including development of Bills of Quantities, Technical specifications, and detailed working drawings.
- Support in the supervision of contractors ensuring standard and acceptable engineering contract management practices is always adhered to from project inception to final contract discharge and hand over to IRC.
- Conduct daily supervision and mentoring visits to communities assigned, working with the hygiene promotion teams in all aspect’s safe hygiene promotion and practices at the community level and health facilities.
- Collect all data related to KAP or KPC surveys conducted at the health facilities that would inform on safe hygiene promotion and practice improvement initiatives.
- Collect all data related to FGD and KIIs conducted with various community entities that would inform on safe hygiene promotion, access to WASH infrastructure and other needs for hygiene items.
- Directly implement the construction works, including but not limited to; Construction and rehabilitation of water supply systems; Construction of excreta disposal facilities; Construction of solid waste management facilities; and Construction of medical waste disposal facilities.
- Support implementation of IRC’s activities on NFI kit distributions i.e., hygiene kits and MHM kits, participating in beneficiary identifications, verification, registration, and the distribution processes.
- Collect all data related to all post distribution monitoring assessments conducted after distribution of WASH/EH related NFI items would inform on lessons learnt.
- Coordinate closely with the CHVs over beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water access, water collection points, water quality, and sanitation access/location of sanitation facilities.
- If required, supervise water trucking deliveries and systems
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Officer on any changes to approved designs for water supply and Sanitation systems
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials
Staff Supervision & Development
- Assist the EH Officer Hygiene Promotion, to CHVs on hygiene promotion, social mobilization, and community engagement
- Assist the EH Officer Hygiene Promotion, to train CHVs on SOPs for water quality monitoring
- Assist the WASH/EH Officer, train, and support daily skilled and unskilled workers
- Supervise daily skilled and unskilled workers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget
- Responsible for daily skilled and unskilled workers’ timesheets and work plans,
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- With the WASH/EH Officer plan on a daily or weekly basis construction activity to be carried in the targeted locations and conduct daily site visits to review activity progress.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on all hygiene promotion activities, construction activities related sanitation and water supply facilities.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on all WASH/EH related distribution activities while maintaining update records of beneficiaries and items received.
- Supplies provided and used at the facilities that include soap, chlorine, water quality reagents and tools/equipment distributed.
- Keep update records of all WASH construction activities, and day-to-day work schedules and mapping of target locations covered by the infrastructure activities.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the WASH/EH Officer, EH Manager and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
The ideal candidate will have an Environmental health (WASH) background and experience in Implementing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene with strong focus on construction of emergency WASH facilities.
- Minimum of Diploma or Advanced Certificate in Civil engineering Construction, Building construction engineering, Water engineering, or related field.
- Experience in implementation of WASH or public health promotion in community settings.
- Community engagement and negotiation skills
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel; AutoCAD, ArchiCAD or similar application software
- Able to fluently communicate and write in English
Applicants can also apply via: Sudanjobs.net
Standard of Professional Conduct
IRC and IRC employees are required to abide by the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct which are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
WARNING: Do not to pay any money to get a job. Please report fraudulent jobs to email@example.com