|Date Posted||January 19, 2022|
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarianprinciples. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity& gender balance and encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s Site Maintenance team and enable the delivery of professional, client-focused services? Are you ready to partner with managers to deliver effective Site Maintenance Services that will change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for an experienced Site Maintenance Assistant (Electrician) to be based in Nyala, Sudan, to be hired on a Service Contract at the SC 4 level.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Sudan has the potential to reach millions of food insecure people across Sudan – with a total of 7.8 million people assisted in 2020. WFP Sudan, one of the largest and complex operations for WFP globally, is currently rolling out its five-year Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), which aims to provide emergency assistance through a hybrid approach (Cash, food and vouchers), along with life-changing types of programmes (Nutrition, Resilience and School Feeding).
To provide a full range of skilful site maintenance services including installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment/appliances to support safe, comfortable and reliable working environment.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (Not All-Inclusive)
- Plan, coordinate and provide full range of site maintenance and installation works of all kinds of generators and air conditioners existing in WFP premises as required ensuring a safe and reliable working environment according to the WFP electrical standards either/including the supervision of installations, ensuring well-functioning equipment.
- Install, regularly maintain, and repair all kinds of electrical equipment and appliances (water heaters, water pump …etc.) including wiring and distribution systems to ensure safe and reliable working environment in compliance with WFP electrical standards and safety measures.
- Ensure safety installation and repairs of the cabling system, switchgear, and distribution boards in line with the standard and measure.
- Co-ordinate - through projects unit with any required external contracting, servicing or intervention needed for any installations.
- Provide written requests for required electrical materials and keep detailed reports on storage and usage of these materials. Advise on disposal of damaged units enclosed with technical report.
- Coordinate with the inventory unit in creating a Database for all existing and newly purchased air conditioners units. Arrange for periodic, preventive, and corrective maintenance.
ADDITIONAL KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
7. Identify any unsafe installations, or working practices associated with air conditioners and other electrical equipment and take corrective measures.
8. Keep and maintain a logbook for all generators in the area office premises as well as national grid consumption monitoring.
9. Perform regular and ad-hoc installations, repairs and maintenance of electrical systems and components ensure all installations meet established safety standards.
10. Support deployment of and provide technical supervision to external contractors to facilitate efficient and cost-effectiveness in services or intervention for any major electrical installations, maintenance, and repairs.
11. Contribute to evaluation of required installations/Repairs work, compare prices of materials. Contribute to planning of future preventive maintenance work to support efficient and cost effectiveness of site maintenance services.
12. Assist in maintaining accurate inventory records through physical check and maintenance of lists/database and arrange disposal of identified equipment and materials, strictly following WFP assets management guidelines.
13. Compile and provide accurate reports on works undertaken, services provided, materials procured and used for installations/repairs including accurate generators fuel logbook to support accurate accounting and enable efficient planning for future works/services.
14. Perform any other related duties as required by direct supervisor, also to alternate as applicable and when need with admin staffs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Demonstrated qualification in electricity. Completion of technical/vocational school or electrical certification is desirable.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible and proven effective experience in planning and executing specialized electrical installations, maintenance and repair work, and at least one year at G3 level or equivalent.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Good knowledge of how to read and understand blue prints and technical diagrams.
• Knowledge of safety precautions.
• Ability to inspect and evaluate equipment/appliances and resolve malfunctioning quickly including ability to perform tests and use the results to diagnose problems.
• Ability to carry out installation of the equipment/appliances expertly and sometimes under difficult and awkward physical circumstances.
• Ability to use hand and power tools.
• Ability to multi-task and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to job requirements.
• Ability to maintain accurate and precise records.
• High sense of responsibility and punctuality.
• Honesty and integrity.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and draft various correspondence.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to work in a team and provide technical supervision to other staff.
Language: Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
- In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
TALENTED WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY:
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavor to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing date: 19 January 2022
- Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP does not charge any fee at any stage of its recruitment process
- WFP has zero tolerance with discrimination and does not discriminate to HIV/AIDS status.
- This position is open to ONLY Sudanese nationals.