|Date Posted||October 27, 2020|
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is seeking for qualified candidate to fill the following post:
UNHCR Darfur Operation has offices in El Fasher, Nyala, El Geneina, Ed Daen and Zalengi. Each office has a fleet of veichles and generators that support UNHCR's operations conducted directly and through its partners. The total fleet size is more than 90 light vehicles and more than 20 generators. Based in El Fasher, the Assistant Fleet Management Officer shall be part of the Supply Chain Management Unit and shall manage and coordinate activities related to fleet and assets management including (Vehicles, trucks, generators, Fuel etc) across the Darfur Operation.
The incumbent shall ensure that compliance with UNHCR rules and procedures, cost-effectiveness, efficiency and professionalism in the management of fleet are maintained.
The Assistant Fleet Management Officer shall be accountable to perform her/his duties as reflected in her/his job description. She/he will do so within her/his delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, she/he shall be required to discharge her/his responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Supply Officer in El Fasher, the incumbent will:
- The incumbent will closely collaborate with the Supply Officer in Darfur
and report technically to the Chief of the Asset and Fleet Management unit at HQ.
- Implement and maintain UNHCR’s rules and procedures for Fleet and Asset Management.
- Collaborate closely with programme, administration and supply, provide inputs to planning
exercises, reviews, evaluations and audits on Fleet and Asset Management.
- Regularly analyse Fleet and Asset data in MSRP, VTS and FleetWave and ensure that
data is up-dated at all times.
- Provide fleet and asset management reports, customised reports, gather information on all
fleet assets and provide in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
- Implement and maintain vehicle and passenger security and safety procedures and
- Organize local drivers to effect the timely and efficient reception to and dispatch of
personnel from the office and operational areas. Report on driver movements and
activities (Journey/Mission schedule).
- Ensure that UNHCR vehicles are regularly serviced and repaired in line with existing rules.
- Maintain, at all times, accurate control, recording and monitoring of drivers and vehicle
logbooks, and provide monthly fuel usage reports to Senior Management.
- Review the vehicle situation to advise the office(s) on maintaining an appropriately-sized
fleet and that the vehicle fleet is making optimum use of a pool or allocation system.
- Train and develop driver skills and standards to the highest international safety standard.
- Provide advice on applicable fleet issues that affect the overall logistics operation
- Work in close cooperation with Admin & Program, plan for acquisition, maintenance and
replacement of fleet assets. Develop local fleet management replacement strategies
taking into account UNHCR short and medium term requirements.
- Ensure that vehicles are regularly disposed and arrange those disposals with the support
and guidance from the Supply Officer and Asset Management Unit in HQ.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of fleet and other asset- related data in relevant business
systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments infleet related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Arrange for the annual physical verification exercise of all UNHCR assets, ensure that
follow up actions are implemented and timely report on the results as per the year-end
instructions from HQ.
- Support the implementation of policies and processes for the management and
safeguarding of the vehicle fleet and asset management.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with relevant UNHCR regulations, rules and procedures
related to fleet management for the country of responsibility.
- Analyse and measure fleet management performance of offices and take action to prevent
fraud and improve fleet management efficiency and effectiveness for the country of
- Any other related duties as and when required.
3. Monitoring and Progress Control
- Successful implementation and maintenance of UNHCR standard practices in vehicle fleet
- Assurance of a cost-effective and appropriately-sized fleet.
- Successful implementation and maintenance of vehicle and passenger security and safety procedures and systems.
- Correct vehicle usage of procedures by UNHCR drivers as per the drivers’ rules and regulations.
- Accurately controlled, recorded and monitored drivers and vehicle logbooks.
- Fully trained drivers with developed skills and standards to the highest international safety standards.
- All vehciles are equipped with all security safety and working tracking equipment at all times.
- Maintenance of up to date information on fleet wave.
- Effective and professional communication with other units within the representation to ensure the
timely and efficient receipt and dispatch of personnel and goods to destinations within the
- Ability to oversee, manage and operate fleet activities of the representation, supported by correct
and cost-effective use of budget.
- Maintain regular, timely and accurate reporting
- The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) staff or (non-) governmental counterparts, including
Implementing Partners (IPs);
- Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented
in all activities throughout the assignment
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Degree in mechanical engineering/Logistics/Supply Chain management or related field or auto mechanics or auto electricity.
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in fleet management and logistics with Bachelor's Degree.
Relevant Experience with an international organisation, preferered with UN/UNHCR or international commercial transportation firm, is an asset.
Experience working in general logistics, including warehousing, transportation, customs
clearance and procurement is an asset.
Planning and Organizing
Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
Good research and analytical skills;
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
Sound security awareness;
Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations,
Skills on training and developing staff.