|Date Posted||October 4, 2022|
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA is managing a four-year programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 (responsive, inclusive, participatory, and representative decision- making at all levels) by improving the capacity of strategically civil society actors engage with citizens and the government of Sudan in a democratic and effective way, with an aim to resume a democratic and peaceful transition in Sudan. The project intends to contribute to these over-arching objectives by inspiring and supporting change processes undertaken by a Group of Eminent Sudanese, strategically chosen public interest groups (including civil society organizations (CSOs), thinktanks and research centers),
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; support continental and regional efforts of political mediation; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
The Programme Officer – Mediation and Dialogue will support political mediation and dialogue initiatives and contribute to the design and implementation of the Sudan programme, analyses political developments in Sudan and will contribute to monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the programme, as well as the communications and visibility plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical expertise to support continental/regional/inter-governmental efforts in mediation and peace-building in Sudan.
- Supports the Programme Manager in developing a research strategy and research agenda and coordinates the production of knowledge products and dissemination.
- Assesses and analyzes the political developments in Sudan and makes recommendations for updates and revisions of the programme activities and initiatives.
- Liaises with academic research centers and think tanks to understand and initiate dialogues amongst Sudanese stakeholders.
- Develops and maintains a network of key actors and stakeholders in Sudan, and manages memorandums of understanding;
- Contributes to monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the programme ensuring timely communication with donors and International IDEA Regional and Headquarters offices.
- Maintains regular communication with International IDEA’s implementing partners, relevant regional and international organizations, and CSOs / Community Based Organizations, and provides timely progress reports on programme activities.
- Works together with the Programme Manager to ensure activities are implemented in accordance with the workplan;
- Ensures that all projects and activities are carried out and completed in accordance with International IDEA’s rules and donor regulations.
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager
Education and Experience
- University degree in in political science, international law, international development, peace and development studies or related subject;
- A minimum five (5) years relevant experience working in the field of democracy and governance, peace negotiation, or dialogue in the Africa and West Asia Region;
- Experience in the field of mediation, political participation and representation, peace-building, or democratic transitions processes is required;
- Experience in support to deconcentrated, decentralized institutions will be considered an advantage;
- Experience of working in high-level mediation in the Horn of Africa, Arab region, Sudan and with transitional countries will be considered an asset;
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of Arabic would be a considerable asset; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, Spanish, French) is desirable
- Experience in designing and implementing peacebuilding, mediation and dialogue projects
- Experience working in a multistakeholder environment including working with governments, UN, AU, RECs.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Fixed term appointment until 30 September 2023
- Remuneration - EUR 4 623 per month + benefits
- Note that Khartoum is classified as a Non-Family Duty Station
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 05 October 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality