|Date Posted||March 6, 2021|
Sector experience: Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Engineering - Mechanical experience and/or minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Logistics experience.
Geographical experience: Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Language: Fluency in English (essential) and Arabic (desirable).
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT: Technical modernization plan of ABS silos in Gedaref will be an initial stage in our client's larger investment project aimed at increasing efficiency and effectiveness of ABS silos that, when materialized, will allow to meet our client requirements in terms of the quality of cargo and timelines of processing with the goal to increase local purchases of sorghum in Sudan. BACKGROUND: The Strategic Outcome 3 of The Sudan Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023) focusses on building the resilience of food-insecure households and food systems, including strengthening the capacity of national actors. Within the above framework, SDCO has been working with Agricultural Bank of Sudan (ABS) since late 2017, purchasing sorghum for its operations in Sudan and neighbouring countries from the Strategic Grain Reserve which is administered by ABS. The ABS is a governmental entity and its capital is governed by the Central Bank of Sudan and the Federal Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning. Its mission is to develop production of agricultural and livestock products by providing financing, guidance and banking services to producers. The objectives of the ABS include: provision of comprehensive banking services to contribute towards development of the agricultural sector; and maintaining strategic stocks of commodities to achieve food security in the country. ABS is involved in providing technical and financial support to farmers and has comprehensive experience in funding the cooperative societies, supporting credit projects and financing farmer associations. For its strategic stocks, ABS buy sorghum directly from farmers to absorb the local surplus and to promote local agricultural production. Prices are determined by the Ministry of Finance. To date, Sudan Country Office has supported several activities to strengthen the capacity of ABS, including the form of cleaning, packaging and fumigation services/costs; storage costs; on-job training of ABS personnel at the uplift locations; commodity/warehouse management training. Still, ABS is not able to meet our client's requirements, in terms of quality and timeliness. Building ABS's capacity will enable increased local procurement, benefitting both our client and the private sector. To review our client's capacity strengthening activities with our client, consultancy mission has been conducted in November 2019. The Objectives of the mission were to:
- Document ABS's existing capacity in relation to meeting our client's requirements for quality, quantity and timeliness;
- Review the existing capacity strengthening activities that Sudan Country Office is carrying out with ABS;
- Identify what more needs to be done and/or what could be done better for ABS to consistently meet our client's requirements, including in relation to increased volume of sorghum purchases in 2020 and beyond;
- Provide recommendations to SDCO and ABS on how to put these activities in place.
During the mission extensive meetings and discussions were held internal and external stakeholders including ABS; Federal Ministry of Agriculture; FAO; Superintended/Surveyor Company Geo Chem; Country Office Logistics and Procurement units (mission report is attached).Role objectives
REQUIREMENTS: Our client is therefore seeking to engage an experienced Mechanical Engineer, based in Gedaref, Sudan. She/he will work with and report to the Head of the logistics Unit as part of the Project Unit team. The main tasks required of the position will include:
- Prepare detailed inventory of all the technical equipment and machinery installed in both concrete and metallic silos in Gedaref which are used by ABS and other costumers, including our client, to store, maintain (fumigate), clean/sieve and bag sorghum;
- Outline the main technical principles: complete operation cycle of the silos from the moment when new crop is supplied to silos up to the moment when sorghum is bagged and dispatched out from the silos; personnel involved, their functions; etc.;
- Assess current technical condition of inventoried equipment and machinery;
- Propose the best way to improve current condition and increase efficiency of the inventoried equipment and machinery: either fixing, whenever possible and efficient, or replacement with more advanced equivalent equipment;
- Estimate budget for the proposed modernisation, including cost of equipment, transportation, installation and labor cost, personnel training, etc.;
- Establish time frame for proposed modernisation plan.
- Provide comparative analysis for the status and technical capacity of the silos before and after modernisation;
The Engineer shall be able to demonstrate in-depth technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyse and resolve complex engineering issues, manage and direct projects and work streams, provide technical expertise, advice solutions that support strategic results, and formulate new strategies and technical approaches where appropriate. The Engineer should have experience in design, construction and supervision of infrastructure. The Engineer assigned to this position will require experience in construction contract management, including knowledge and experience of international construction contract law, and FIDIC or related construction contract formats. ACCOUNTABILITIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The duties shall include but are not limited to the following: Engineering duties
- Meet/discuss with ABS management and technical personnel in Khartoum and Gedaref;
- Meet/discuss with internal stakeholders: SDCO Senior Management, Procurement, Logistics;
- Visit the ABS concrete and metallic silos in Gedaref and meet our client and ABS teams involved on the ground;
- Engineering services to ensure that outputs meet the established quality standards and are compliant with wider our client policies, procedures, guidelines and operations;
- Manage and conduct analysis of project proposals to ensure business case and technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources;
- Conduct engineering site assessments and develop remedial plans to ensure suitability to operational purposes, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment in line with our client policies, criteria and standards.
- Build the capacity of the Logistics team to facilitate the continued development and high performance.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively meet clients' expectations.
- Prepare, write and assemble project documentation for engineering or construction procurement actions, including drawings, technical specifications, briefs, scope of work, variation orders, and contract addenda, for technical review and approval; this includes the preparation of supervision reports, to contribute to and/or manage variation orders, payments, evaluations, and support corporate construction procedures.
- Review, interpret and critique/comment on third-party or other proposals, method statements and schedules, in particular technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated design reports.
- Assist in managing Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures for construction projects.
- Prepare accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance that support a successful procurement process.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Other as required.
Deliverables Project Document including:
- Detailed report on existing situation and proposal for modernization: what, how;
- Detailed plan of modernization, construction drawings;
- Detailed technical specification on structures, systems and equipment;
- Detailed timeframe including costs, manpower and materials per WBS for projected modernization plan;
- Detailed budget for proposed modernization plan;
- Detailed comparative analysis for the status and technical capacity of the silos before and after modernisation;
To be advised
Experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience in silos and distribution systems projects at increasing levels of responsibilities. Experience in Africa or development countries is an advantage. Knowledge & Skills:
- Good communication and leadership skills;
- Knowledge and/or experience in mechanical engineering design and supervision;
- Detailed knowledge of contract formats and contract management obligations.
- Good knowledge of public procurement procedures; international contract formats and construction management procedures.
- Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community.
- Good knowledge of AutoCAD 2D and Microsoft Project. Languages: Fluency (level C) in English is mandatory. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language. Knowledge in Arabic is considered an advantage. Team management
To be advised
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for the above role.