|Date Posted||April 17, 2021|
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) and Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world, including Sudan. DRC/DDG fulfils its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. Under its mandate, the organization focuses on emergency humanitarian response, rehabilitation, post-conflict recovery and humanitarian mine-action.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004, focusing primarily on the conflict in Darfur. DRC devoted, on the basis of humanitarian principles to securing the Protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promoting long term solutions to the problems of forced displacement. DRC works in the context of conflict-induced displacement of populations and in return and reintegration situations
Overall purpose of the role:
The Protection Assistant (Case Management) is responsible for effectively contributing to the DRC’s protection Programme by being directly responsible for the implementation of a case management process for
Individuals with critical protection needs. To this end, and under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader (Case Management) and of the Protection Manager, the Protection Assistant is responsible for analyzing the protection needs of a small caseload of individuals and for developing and implementing appropriate protection responses. The Protection Assistant is expected to build positive relationships with individual beneficiaries, local communities and humanitarian partners as relevant so as to ensure quality and efficiency in the delivery of services.Duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of programme activities related to provision of services and assistance to vulnerable and at-risk individuals. To this end, support the Protection Team Leader (Case Management) in producing and updating weekly workplans and implementing programme activities accordingly.
- Provide general protection case management services in compliance with DRC’s standards and SOPs by conducting individualized assessment of protection needs and risks, developing case plans in collaboration with individual beneficiaries and ensuring their effective access to services through the direct provision of services as well as services referrals. To this end, ensure regular follow-up on the indidivuals situation, needs and access to services until case closure.
- At all times safeguard the safety and respect of the individual, in addition to the confidentiality of his/her information and his/her right to access services without any discrimination. Ensure that the agency of individuals is respected and promoted by ensuring that they are a the center of the decision making process throughout the case management process.
- Attend internal case review meetings in order to identify the individuals who need to be followed through a comprehensive case management process and ensure that the follow-ups on open cases are conducted efficiently
- In coordination with the Protection Team Leader (Case Management) coordinate on the the emission and/or reception of services referrals through appropriate services provision, follow-up and feedback.
- Conduct any other programatic tasks related to the provision of protection services and direct assistance as instructed by the Protection Team Leader (Case Management) and the Protection Manager.
- Engage with the community and community representatives to understand needs and gaps in protection programming.
- Ensure that all documents and forms related to the case management process, including case plans, services referral forms, informed consent forms and assistance receipts are produced and updated in a timely fashion to ensure the quality and efficiency of the intervention.
- Use dedicated information management systems and database to centralize and update information on the case management process and ensure compliance with DRC’s data protection protocol.
Representation and coordination
- Ensure that all interactions with individual beneficiaries take place in an environment and in a way that respect and promotes their safety, trust and dignity. Ensure that all interactions with other stakeholders such as community members and service providers are conducted in accordance to the principles of respect, confidentiality and collaboration.
- In coordination with the Protection Team Leader (Case Management) and the Protection Manager, participate in case conference meetings - including inter-agency case conferences - for high-risk cases and/or complex cases as relevant.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Contribute to the effective implementation of support activites related to te effective implementation of the programme, including in terms of logistics, administration, human resources, finance and security. In all matters, comply with internal directive and policies as communicated by the Protection Manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 2 years of professional experience in the field of social work, humanitarian assistance, human rights, community development or any other relevant field
- Previous experience working international and national NGOs
- Knowledge of the protection and humanitarian issues affecting IDPs, migrants and refugees in Sudan. Knowledge of the protection assessment and case management processes.
- Proven capacity to represent an international NGO to external stakeholders in a positive and professional manner. Capacity to engage with various communities and individuals so as to build trusts and confidence.
- High-level of computer literacy and proven capacity to write short activity reports
University Degree in the field of social sciences, humanitarian affairs, international law, development or any other related field
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Internal: Protection Manager, Protection Team Leader (Case Management), Protection Team Leader (CBP) Protection Officer (Case Management), MEAL Officers/Assistants
- External: individual beneficiaries, community members, service providers and humanitarian partners