|Date Posted||April 27, 2021|
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The IFC has embarked on an ambitious new strategy to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected States (FCS). This new strategy aims at creating our own opportunities for private investments in riskier markets by proactively working in these countries to create, deepen, and expand the markets themselves.
The IFC is looking to recruit a Resident Representative for Khartoum Sudan. This position is based in Khartoum and reports to the Country Manager based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
As part of the Sudan country team, the Resident Representative will play a critical role in operationalizing IFC 3.0/Creating Markets strategy and enabling the Cascade at a country level. He/she will be responsible, in close collaboration across the WBG, for developing operational country strategies and action plans and for driving their implementation. He/she will oversee the portfolio and leads business development for investment, upstream and advisory services. He/she will establish and maintain strong relationships with high-level representatives of the Sudanese Government, global and regional businesses, banking and multilateral partners as well as other non-governmental organizations, to maximize the impact of IFC's interventions and to contribute to the overall development of the country and its industries. He/she leads the coordination with World Bank Group institutions and, contribute to the design and implementation of the Joint Implementation Plans (JIPs) and other forms of proactive collaboration to enhance business delivery at the country level.
Oversee all IFC's investment and advisory activities in Sudan;
• In conjunction with the country manager and in collaboration with the World Bank, develop and implement a strategy for IFC's Investment, Upstream and Advisory activities in all streams with a focus on the key areas as per the regional strategy;
• Coordinate the development of a client engagement strategy for key clients existing or targeted;
• Establish, develop and maintain IFC's relationships with the Government of Sudan, both at the working and ministerial levels and represent IFC at key government and multilateral functions;
• Work across all the sectors especially mining, infrastructure, financial sector, agribusiness and manufacturing and services to complete sponsor checks and due diligence, support IFC's project development activities, provide support during transaction execution and portfolio management;
• Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities based on market trends and sector/country knowledge and provide innovative and flexible financial structures for complex transactions;
• Share accountability for the quality and performance of the country portfolio; work jointly with the country manager to meet scorecard targets. (Client Satisfaction, Productivity, and Development Impact and People metrics);
• Facilitate advisory services project identification and design as well as client and partner engagement strategies;
• Set standards for thoroughness in quality control and make recommendations to strengthen transactions;
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental and technical assistance colleagues to add value to clients' businesses;
• Propose pragmatic solutions to specific industry challenges to achieve sustainable development impact;
• Lead and manage the Sudan team staff ensuring the team is high-performing and well-motivated with clear deliverables committed to the success of IFC in Sudan;
• Mentor and develop junior staff;
• Manage operations of IFC's office in Khartoum including budget, logistics, etc. and ensuring strong cohesion in the office;
• Maintain a good working knowledge of current investment and advisory operations in Sudan and respond to queries from HQ, Regional management and staff;
• Facilitate and provided guidance to visiting missions.