|Date Posted||January 19, 2022|
Reporting to: Area Manager
Technical line manager: N/A
Direct reports: SMS Team Leader and Officers**
Unit/department: Site Management Support (CCCM)
Location: Various in Gedaref State
Overall purpose of the role: The SMS Manager is responsible for the coordination of assistance and services at camp level in coordination with relevant camp authorities. This entails building effective collaboration with a diversity of stakeholders, ranging from refugees, community representatives, humanitarian partners, host communities and local authorities.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining coordination amongst the camp actors, including government representatives, UN agencies, international NGOs and national NGOs and other service providers and refugee groups by supporting the camp in charge in existing coordination mechanisms.
- Responsible for the overall day to day management of DRC’s site management support activities and directly manage the staff members as listed above, including coaching, co-ordination between staff, timely recruiting and tracking of team progress.
- Compiling relevant Camp information - writing weekly and fortnightly reporting as required. Update any tools used for coordination purposes or information management as required.
- Assist in monitoring, in close collaboration with Protection, Shelter & Site Operations: all technical work carried out in the camp setting, including water, sanitation and hygiene activities, construction activities, and any other activities implemented by DRC, as well as the activities of other organisations. Ensure all activities respect international standards for each sector. Assist in supporting information gathering and participatory assessments undertaken within the camp.
- Support governmental focal points and UNHCR in leading the emergency preparedness and response on camp level including, planning, reporting, assessments, coordination, messaging, relocations and any other relevant activity.
- Supervises the organization and coordination of capacity building initiatives for community groups, safety unit volunteers, Site Management Support volunteers on emergency preparedness and response.
- Works with Protection, Shelter & Site development teams in the enhancement of key relationships with camp and government leaders to ensure smooth communication, activity implementation, data collection, and community outreach.
- Support and aid in the design of camp governance structures
- Oversee and support the community mobilization team in the development and support of the different representative committees and community groups, including facilitating the formation of new groups, coordinating meetings and workshops, implementing training and community interventions.
- Supervise the implementation of community led projects.
- Ensure accountability through prompting access to static FCRM, mobile FCRM and information sharing with the community and service providers
- Represent the DRC in external forums as requested by the supervisor.
- Provide feedback regarding work plans, contingency plans and general programme implementation.
- Assist in working with HR department in all HR related issues in the camp.
- Assist with all procurements and logistical arrangements associated with the Camp, in collaboration with DRC procurement and logistics staff.
Team Management: **
- Manage the SMS team in the field and directly supervises the SMS team leader, and officers.
- Provide technical support to the teams.
- Conduct performance reviews and support the team in identifying gaps, areas of development including capacity building plans.
- Conduct regular team meetings.
- Recruit staff members as needed.
Project implementation: **
- Contribute to project development and ensure refugees needs are reflected in the project design stage.
- Contribute to the development of budgets.
- Contribute to donors reporting requirements and ensure all data is collected and indicator tracking tools are updated regularly.
- Ensure project activities are implemented on time and in a quality manner in the camp.
- Ensure all expenditures are done following DRC’s finance rules and regulations.
- Contribute to evaluations carried out to measure impact and necessary changes aiming at improving DRC’s interventions and capturing lessons learnt, best practises and implementation of changes.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 5 years of experience in INGOs, specifically in complex emergency contexts and project management.
- Experience managing teams preferably in an emergency context.
- Substantial experience operating in a refugee camp environment, preferably undertaking Camp Management activities.
- Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes required.
- Ability to work with large, multi-cultural people in a changing environment.
- Experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations.
- CCCM Global Cluster ToT qualified (highly desirable)
- Advanced university degree would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in Arabic would be an advantage
· DRC Sector Managers, Area Manager, Support Services
· UNHCR CCCM focal points
· Government actors