|Date Posted||April 17, 2021|
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is seeking for qualified candidate to fill the following post:Type of Contract: UNOPS Individual ContractorSection/Unit: ProgrammeGrade Level: LICA 6Duty Station: KostiDuration: Till 31/12/2021Closing Date: 20 April 2021Background:
White Nile State is home for an estimated 260,000 South Sudanese Refugees among which about 168,000 reside in 9 camps. Protection and basic services are being provided by government ministries, international and national non-governmental organizations. Over-crowding and congestion remain a serious concern, with all camps currently hosting populations beyond initial capacity. WES and SRCS are the partners in charge of potable water provision in all the camps and surrounding host community while CAFOD provides hygiene and sanitation services across all camps. WNS continue to receive new arrivals from South Sudan, at a range of 10,000 individuals per year, which necessitated opening of a 10 camp – which is currently under development.
The WASH situation in almost all WNS camps is falls below acceptable standards. among the major factors contributing this include limited finding to upgrade and expand WASH infrastructure, increasing population of refugees and host community and land constraint. To improve the current WASH challenges, a multi-year WASH improvement plan has been developed and implementation is currently underway.
2. Operational Context
The WASH Associate works under the overall supervision of WASH officer with possibility of reporting line change depending on unfolding office structure. S/he will be primarily responsible for assisting the development, providing guidance on and overseeing the implementation of WASH strategies for refugee settlements in WNS. The incumbent will support WASH related activities in the refugee settlements working closely with the multi-functional teams including colleagues from protection, health, settlement planning, field, and others.
The WASH Associate provides technical guidance, works closely with partners and other external stakeholders, reviews ongoing activities and generally contributes to improving WASH service delivery to persons of concern (POC) to adequate levels at each site in accordance with the UNHCR WASH Manual and Technical Guidelines, and applicable
UNHCR and / national standards. S/he will follow a rights-based and community focused approach to programme design and implementation. The incumbent will follow the five principles for protection, accountability and WASH as outlined in UNHCR’s WASH Manual:
Functional, cross-functional, and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity, and respect for diversity.Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance and support to partners on all WASH-related issues to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and environmental sound WASH interventions.
- Liaise with implementing partners, operating partners and relevant governmental and non-governmental counterparts.
- Review regularly the quantity and quality of water and sanitation services offered in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) and maintain the records of WASH performance indicators for all locations.
- Support the review of performance, undertake field verifications, monitor development and support the evaluation of activities and approaches adopted by partners in WASH and related sectors, reporting the results to the supervisor for sharing with other technical units.
- Provide technical assistance (TA) to partners and help to enhance capacity building of partners.
- Promote community involvement and participation in all the different stages of the WASH project cycle.
- Build and maintain close relationships with other sectors, particularly site planning, health and community service, to locate, plan, implement and monitor WASH activities.
- Provide timely inputs to ensure that regular and accurate reports that analyse the challenges encountered in providing WASH services for beneficiaries are prepared and circulated.
- May participate in the preparation of all reports for management, boards, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, monthly, annual reports etc. in a timely manner.
- Contribute to providing technical inputs during strategic and operational planning cycles of UNHCR within the AoR.
- Assist in the communication of WASH related issues as well as of the needs and issues of other sectors through reliable regular field presence.
- Provide regular updates and track progress, prepare summaries and follow-up documents in correspondence.
- Participate in WASH sector, infrastructure coordination, camp coordination and cross-cutting sector meetings e.g. health, environment, as required by the supervisor.
- Compile documents and reports related to WASH activities and construction under the AoR.
- Record feedback from UNHCR camp management, field and community services colleagues on issues with water availability, access, quality, sanitation situation, and ensure follow-up.
- Support the management in provision of WASH facilities required (UNHCR managed and supported areas), including activities such as technical design, cost estimations of technical activities, development of bill of quantities for construction of all associated WASH works, and all operational and maintenance considerations.
- Provide project management support for UNHCR WASH activities employing typical PM tools for design control, procurement, implementation and monitoring, and contract administration including evaluations to support progress certificates.
- Promote and participate in the establishment of a complaint mechanism/system to improve the WASH accountability toward refugees; report all issues, communications and resolutions employed.
- Establish and follow master and detailed chronograms, reporting to the sector any issue resulting in delays or extra costs.
- Coordinate and supervise UNHCR partners' construction and maintenance of WASH in UNHCR managed and supported areas.
- Assist in negotiations with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Provide inputs for country operations plan and other submissions and reports.
- Monitor WASH activities in the AoR on behalf of UNHCR and make recommendations to the supervisor and the UNHCR management team.
- Provide data inputs for the WASH monitoring system.
- Perform other related duties as required.
4. Monitoring and Progress Controls
Provide routine & scheduled monitoring of WASH services in all camps and entry points
- Technical support to partners
Provide technical support to partner staffs in WASH related issues
produce quality reports; these include sitreps, mid-term reports, annual reports and other donor reports as needed.
Provide quality coordination of WASH services, including organizing and facilitating working group meetings, harmonizing approaches & sharing information and best practices.Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Completion of Secondary education with post-secondary course/diploma in Civil Engineering/water and sanitation engineering/water resources development or a related field.
b. Work Experience
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience including at least 2 years in water supply, wastewater, solid waste, vector control and/or public health and/or construction works.
- Computer skills (MS office and AutoCAD).
- Fluency in English and local language.
c. Key Competencies
- Experience in area of WASH including surveys, programme implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and coordination
- Knowledge and understanding of sanitation technologies and hygiene promotion approaches
- Knowledge and understanding of risk-based monitoring and evaluation, multi-criteria analysis and project management and control.
- Knowledge of surface water treatment and quality control
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Candidate Assessments may include a written examination followed by a Competency Based Interview.